In the construction and repair industry, you cannot do without special adhesives. A special place among the rich assortment is occupied by polyurethane glue. Recently, the demand for this type of products has increased significantly.
Given the wide range of applications, two-component formulations have gained particular popularity. The solution is compatible with a variety of materials that differ in density, texture and nature of origin.
Features of the
Polyurethane adhesive solutions are available in one and two components. Products differ in technical characteristics and composition, respectively. The main difference between this type of product and a similar product on the modern market is a wide temperature range of use. But they also note resistance to increased moisture and other external factors.
Among the advantages, experts highlight the use of indoor and outdooras well as versatility, durability and reliability. For the manufacture of 2-component glue, hardeners and polyesters are used. When working with the composition, it is necessary to carry out the mixing procedure of the two components.
Many manufacturers add special catalysts. With their help, you can accelerate or, conversely, slow down the polymerization of the adhesive. Today, products of this type are offered by domestic and foreign brands.
Advantages and disadvantages
To assess the range of possibilities for 2-component polyurethane formulations, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the list of strengths and weaknesses of the product.
- Using. The glue is actively used when working with various materials, be it synthetic or natural raw materials. The products are used when working with wood, metal, rubber, plastic (PVC), stone and textiles. A large scope of work has made the product popular and in demand all over the world.
- Temperature. A quality product is not afraid of sudden changes in temperature conditions. Even with constant fluctuations, all performance characteristics remain unchanged.
Wear resistance is maintained at low and high temperatures.
- Wear resistance. The adhesive layer retains its firmness and practicality even when exposed to water, oil or gasoline. But it is also worth noting that the product is not afraid of dampness, mold and mildew. Due to the special components in the composition, the multiplication of bacteria on the surface of the layer is impossible.
- Reliability. The adhesive firmly and permanently bonds various materials. It can be used for horizontal and vertical surfaces. With the correct use of a certified product, you can be sure of a secure fit. And also the composition boasts high mechanical properties.
- Additional features. When working with MDV panels or PVC (plastic) structures, the two-component product acts as a practical and durable sealant. High-quality sealing of seams will help to save heat in the room, as well as reduce the noise level.
Polyurethane glue is especially widely used in regions with harsh climatic conditions.
- Benefit Due to the beneficial consumption, the composition is economical to use. This characteristic is especially important if you plan to renovate a large facility.
- Wide scope of use. On sale you will find a huge variety of products focused on a specific scope of work. The glue is used for the installation of parquet flooring, structures of various types, vehicles (boats), shoe repair, sealing and others.
- Excellent result. Deformation of the layer during the laying of solid wood or parquet is excluded. Taking into account the individual technical characteristics, the material is recommended for use by beginners who do not have proper experience in the field of repair, installation and construction.
Only certified products have the above characteristics.
Among the huge assortment, the following compositions are especially popular:
- Alu 2-component (Cosmofen Duo) is a universal product;
- Uzin MK 92 S - effective glue for laying parquet;
- Molefix 8325 is a professional product with a wide range of applications.
This type of product has one significant drawback. Two-component adhesive has a long drying time. Not all experts consider this characteristic a disadvantage. This feature can also be called an advantage. The master has more time to carry out specific work. In addition, this disadvantage fully compensates for a number of advantages.
Specifications and use
If you are using a two-component formulation, you do not need to take into account the indoor or outdoor humidity level. The formulations are designed in such a way that they are able to withstand even the highest rates without problems. These are waterproof solutions that tightly bond various compounds.
The product retains a number of specific properties that relate to pure polyurethane. It is resistant to various chemical compounds and seawater.
Separately, it is worth noting the high temperature indicator of ignition, which is 200 degrees Celsius.
The setting of the layer takes place in an hour, provided that the air temperature is 20 degrees Celsius above zero. The complete solidification process takes from 1 to 2 days, depending on the microclimate.
Before applying the glue to the base or structural element, it must first be cleaned, degreased and dried. Be sure to use gloves to protect your hands. Particles of the material are removed with acetone. This is done until the product is completely dry, otherwise cleaning will have to be carried out mechanically.
How to choose?
Most polyurethane adhesives are universal, however, when choosing an adhesive, it is imperative to pay attention to the scope of application. This information must be indicated on the packaging.
The products are ideal for installing "warm" floors, given the high upper limit of the permissible temperature. Given the fact that the layer does not shrink during operation, the compositions are recommended for use for installing floor coverings.
The material will be securely fixed after laying and will remain in this position throughout its entire service life.
Some types of formulations can be used at sub-zero temperatures. The glue retains the necessary elasticity due to special elements. Depending on the impurities, the color of the product is gray, white, brown or amber.
A separate segment of the product is two-component mortars for sealing seams and joints of various designs, regardless of the material. This type of glue is sold in compact containers and is mixed before use in a 1 to 1 ratio. The product comes with a package with a hardener.
To prepare the solution, metal or plastic buckets are used.
Safety measures when using the composition
Even experienced craftsmen are required to follow the instructions for using two-component adhesives.
- It is necessary to apply the composition with rubber gloves. Protect your eyes when mixing components with special work glasses.
- If glue comes into contact with exposed skin, immediately treat the affected area with warm soapy water. If particles of the composition get on the mucous membrane of the eyes, you should seek medical help as soon as possible.
- The optimal working conditions are a ventilated room. Otherwise, be sure to use a respirator. Individual elements of the solution volatilize during application and dilution.
The ingress of vapors into the respiratory tract is undesirable.
Parquet two-component composition
This type of product has individual characteristics:
- high adhesion;
- the working time of the layer varies from one hour to two hours;
- the glue layer has excellent elasticity;
- the solution retains its properties after mixing for 30 to 90 minutes.
The curing process of the components takes place through a chemical reaction. Due to its practicality, simplicity and convenience, the adhesive method of laying floor coverings is widespread.
You can learn how to prepare an adhesive mixture of polyurethane two-component glue from the video below.