During repair and construction work, you may be faced with the need to use a sealant. Sealing substances can be different, but the main difficulty in using them is that it is not very convenient to work with them without a special gun.
Features of the device
The electric gun is designed to greatly facilitate the process of applying the composition. At the same time, the seam becomes visually clearer and more accurate. Any model of the device will necessarily consist of a rod with a piston and a body. These two elements are responsible for the uniform supply of the substance to the surface. The trigger is used to control the extrusion of the sealant.
The electric gun has the following advantages:
- high power;
- savings in sealant consumption;
- the accuracy of the seam;
- comfortable and lightweight design;
- acceptable cost.
There are open models and closed ones. To give preference in favor of one design or another is a personal choice of everyone. It should be borne in mind that closed pistols are much more convenient to use, since fixing the tube in this case is much more reliable than in the first version.
If you follow the correct sequence of actions, then difficulties in working with an electric gun will not be found.
- The first thing to do is to prepare the container with the sealant. The nose is trimmed at a 45 degree angle. Experts strongly recommend that you do not make the hole too large during your first work experience. After the initial skills are obtained and there is an idea of the feed rate of the composition, the hole can be made a little wider.
- The second is the preparation of the existing pistol model. As a rule, it is enough to loosen the locking nut and back the stem as far as it will go. Next, you need to install the tube with the sealant and securely fix it, securing the previously relaxed parts.
- Work surface treatment is a standard cleaning and degreasing process for better adhesion and durability of the compound.
- Application and filling of the seam - this work will be done by the electric gun itself. The worker is only required to carefully move him along the intended work space.
At the end, it is necessary to smooth the seam; for this, special spatulas are used, which will level the surface and remove excess sealant.
Subtleties of choice
The choice of model depends on where and by whom it will be applied, you should think about it in advance before going to the store.
- The first thing to look out for is, of course, the absence of damage. It is unacceptable that cracks, chips and other defects are present on the pistol body.
- The pistol should fit comfortably in the hand, be light enough and not slippery.
- The body material can be steel (for sealant in cartridge packaging) or aluminum (for tubes).
- Typically, 280 ml cartridges are used for home use. Tubes are designed for a wider scope of work and are used by professional builders.
There are models adapted for two-component sealants. They are equipped with a special mixing nozzle.
What else to look for when buying an electric gun?
- Volume. Depending on the model, the installation volume can vary from 280 ml to 600 ml. It might be worth looking into a tool that can adapt to most popular tubas of varying sizes.
- Power. The more often you plan to use the gun and the wider the range of construction work, the higher its power should be.Practice shows that a power of 18 W is able to cope even with an impressive load.
- Type of food. Electric guns are capable of working both directly from a 220 V network and from a battery. The second option is preferable for most craftsmen. It should be borne in mind that often the battery is not included in the basic kit upon purchase and must be purchased additionally.
- Feed rate sealant depends on the power of the tool. Calculated in mm / s or g / s. There are models that can adjust the speed, for example, 1-5.5 mm / s.
The most popular manufacturers that have earned consumer confidence: Metabo, Makita, Skil.
Products of domestic manufacturers differs in a more affordable price, while only slightly inferior to its foreign counterparts in terms of basic characteristics.
- Models of the brand "Enkor" have earned the trust of masters for their ability to work even with very viscous substances;
- "Caliber" - one of the most popular models among Russian consumers due to its ease of operation and reliable housing;
- Electric pistol "Zubr" is also a reliable tool, available in a wide range of models.
Products of these manufacturers are distinguished by ease of use, simplicity of design and durability of operation.
For how to use an electric sealant gun, see the following video.