Nowadays, the chemical industry greatly simplifies any technological process, offering consumers products that have a wide range of applications. Glue 88 is considered to be a unique product because it can be used to bond materials that do not match at first glance.
What it is?
Glue 88 is a versatile water resistant compound that is commonly used to bond a variety of coatings, from glass to wood. This glue sticks together everything that other universal adhesives can hold together - leather, metal, glass, rubber, they even glue the hair of toys with it. Many people ask the question - why exactly 88, why not 39 or 74, 51 or 62. The answer to this question can be found in the technical literature, which was released back in the 80s of the last century. As it turned out, after its creation, any adhesive composition undergoes mandatory test procedures that check its strength and elasticity.
As a rule, the hardened composition is subjected to cooking, exposure to chemicals, and an increased load on rupture and compression., and even lower or raise temperatures. All these tests last for 7 days, but as the story goes, with this glue, by chance, tests were carried out for 8 days. Noticing this at the last moment, they gave an increased burst pressure with a force of 8 joules - and the glue withstood all this. This is where its name came from, which testifies to its unconditional quality, since not all types of glue are capable of withstanding such experiments. Glue 88 is produced in accordance with the current GOST 12172-74.
Features and composition
The main feature of 88 glue is the ability to bond a wide variety of surfaces, such as:
- dense fabrics and leather;
- porcelain and ceramics;
- glass and mirror.
Glue 88 is a truly versatile composition, which is equally effective both for minor repairs in domestic conditions and in industrial areas - it is no coincidence that it is actively used in shipbuilding and mechanical engineering, as well as in light industry. Glue 88 is characterized by thermal and water resistance, it is characterized by plasticity and high setting speed. The seam formed by the glue can withstand temperatures from -50 to + 70 ° C. It is not prone to cracking and shedding over time, does not lend itself to mechanical damage.
It is very important that it does not emit any harmful and toxic substances either during operation or as it dries, thanks to this it is possible to work with glue even in closed rooms without the slightest risk of harm to the health of children and adults.
Another undoubted advantage of the composition is its anti-corrosion ability, which allows it to be widely used when working with metal products. The glue is quite simple to apply, while being economically consumed. So, for 1 square meter of the treated surface, only 300 mg of the composition is needed. The product is distinguished by its structural durability. The product retains its technical characteristics unchanged under conditions of adverse effects of moisture, temperature extremes and UV radiation.
Glue 88 is a dense mass of beige or greenish-gray in color, while its shades can vary. The glue contains chloroprene rubber, ethyl acetate, nefras solution and phenol-formaldehyde resin. The presence of these components determines the resistance of the adhesive to diesel fuel and gasoline products, as well as the optimal setting speed. From application to gluing, you need to wait only 3 to 5 minutes. During this time, you can move the surfaces to be glued, if initially they were not exactly fixed.
Types and purpose
Glue 88 is widely used as a bonding agent for leather, rubber, wood, cardboard and glass products, as well as for bonding polymer materials based on natural, isoprene and synthetic rubbers.
Modern industry offers several options for glue, among which the most popular are worth highlighting
- Bf - it is also called rubber, as the name suggests. It perfectly bonds rubber surfaces as well as metals and porous materials. The formed seam can withstand low temperatures down to -40 degrees and at the same time retains its strength and plasticity. It is widely used in everyday life and for shoe repair.
- 88 NP and CA Is a variety of 88 glue used to bond rubber to plastic, wood, or concrete. The compositions are distinguished by increased resistance to moisture, therefore they are widely used in shipbuilding and during installation work in the open air.
- 88 M and N - these are adhesives that are used during the repair of cars and other types of equipment. Such modifications can bond any material. They are particularly durable in comparison with other options and have a wide operating temperature range - from -40 to +75 degrees.
- 88 NT. This composition is most often used in everyday life. It solves all the problems associated with minor repairs of household items, toys and household items.
- "Lux" is a versatile product that is used to bond all types of materials - from paper to linoleum.
Any glue is characterized by its versatility and retention of functionality in various thermal conditions.
Various manufacturers are engaged in the release of 88 grade glue, the most widespread are the products of the Moment, Rogneda, Expert, Kleyberg and Mitsar companies. The quality of the formulations presented can vary significantly. Users note that imported adhesives have higher performance characteristics, however, and their cost is also much higher. The company "Rogneda" specializes in the production of glue 88, which is widely used in everyday life and industry. It is used for bonding materials in the manufacture of furniture, as well as for repairing shoes.
Another high-quality product is created by the domestic company "Expert". Its glue is characterized by reliable fixation, forms a strong, durable and elastic seam. The products of the Moment brand are well known to everyone. Moment glue is perhaps the most purchased product for household use in our country. It is he who is bought by the Russians to carry out minor repairs of shoes and toys at home.
Instructions for use
Glue 88 can be used in two ways.
- Cold method. This option is common when solving everyday problems. In this case, the surfaces to be glued must be cleaned of dust and dirt, degreased and applied in a thin layer for 10-15 minutes, then firmly press the surfaces together and wait 3-4 minutes. After that, you should leave the items for 1-1.5 days. As a rule, this time is sufficient for the final adhesion of the composition.
- Hot method consists in the fact that before being applied to the parts, the composition is heated, due to which a high adhesion strength is ensured.
In this case, the sequence of actions proceeds according to the following scheme:
- surfaces should be cleaned and degreased;
- you need to apply glue for half an hour;
- the treated surfaces with glue should be warmed up to + 85-90 degrees and pressed tightly against each other, and then left to "reach" for 3-5 hours.
Important: the second method provides a stronger connection of the elements, but at the same time, it requires caution, since 88 glue is a fire hazardous substance and, if carelessly handled or worked near sources of fire, can lead to injuries.
Experts recommend following a few tips when working with 88 glue.
- When stored for a long time, the glue thickens quite often. To restore it to working condition, you should dissolve it with benzene. Dichloroethane is also recommended for this purpose. You can start using it 6–12 hours after joining the materials.
- There are no exact advice on proportions, as they depend on the degree of thickening. In any case, when diluting the glue with a solvent, a mass with the consistency of liquid sour cream should be obtained.
- The glue should be stored in a hermetically sealed package at a temperature not exceeding +25 degrees. Proper storage conditions allow the composition to be used within 1 year after unpacking.
See Glue Test 88 below.