Nowadays, many summer residents carry out various kinds of greenhouses and greenhouses on their backyards or summer cottages in order to have access to fresh vegetables throughout the year. The article will focus on one of the categories of greenhouse solutions that has gained great popularity - a greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes.
Features: advantages and disadvantages
It must be said that PVC pipes are considered to be quite a convenient material for work, from which it is easy to build a small greenhouse for growing greenery and something else in just a couple of hours. A greenhouse made of propylene pipes will be especially relevant in the northern regions, where climatic conditions are not as good for growing plants as in the south.
If we talk about the advantages of PP pipes, then we can name the following:
- high degree of resistance to moisture;
- long service life - about ten years;
- environmental friendliness;
- resistance to fire;
- affordable cost;
- resistance to wear - tubes are not damaged during their use;
- resistance to temperature extremes;
- not susceptible to corrosion and decay.
But, like any material, PPR pipes have some disadvantages:
- complexity in the matter of transportation;
- susceptibility to sunlight;
- under the serious influence of the physical nature, the HDPE pipe may not withstand and break.
Flexible solutions made of polypropylene are well suited for forming an arch-shaped greenhouse, in contrast to rigid counterparts. All polypropylene solutions are manufactured with special fittings. That is, we are talking about special tees, cross-type splitters, swivel connectors, adapters of various diameters. This significantly speeds up the process of creating a greenhouse made of polypropylene.
Pipes made of the material under consideration make it possible to produce convenient collapsible mobile greenhouse structures, which can be easily disassembled at the right time and hidden.
Types of structures
Before starting to talk about the installation of the structure in question, you should decide what its type will be.
There are the following categories of greenhouses made of this material:
- soil with a film.
Now let's talk about each category in more detail.
A greenhouse box is usually used for germinating seedlings. This type of greenhouse can only be ground or bulk, since it completely depletes the earth in about one to three months. Another disadvantage of this design will be the lack of normal illumination. At the same time, in one square meter, you can grow seedlings, which in the future can be planted on twenty acres of land.
A butterfly-type greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes is made adjustable or for plants that constantly need to breathe. We are talking about peppers, eggplants or tomatoes. It also works well for cucumbers.
Greenhouse types Breadbins need to be chosen by farmers who have little experience.
Its main advantages are:
- low cost and simplicity;
- installation work is as simple as possible.
This option with a house will save the required amount of air for all crops at night. It is thanks to the large amount of air that the greenhouse effect is formed here. This makes it possible to build even cold greenhouses using this technology, which can work immediately as soon as the snow melted. It is also easy to grow large crops here.And such a collapsible version, if desired, can be moved somewhere. The ground-based film version of PVC pipes is considered the simplest. This solution is built for undersized seedlings - lettuce, onions, and so on. In this case, the bed will be thirty centimeters wide, and its height will be forty centimeters.
The main advantage of this type of plastic greenhouse will be its low cost and simplicity. But if we talk about the shortcomings, then here we should mention the complexity of caring for such a building, as well as poor-quality use of light.
Dimensions and location
Many summer residents like to equip a rather large greenhouse room, which will make it possible to get inside and grow a large number of crops of various categories and types there.
But you can make some homemade mini-greenhouse, because everything will depend on what will be grown. But if the structure is longer than four millimeters, then it will be necessary to take into account the load of the roof and its strength.
Experienced summer residents believe that a greenhouse project with a height of about two meters, a length of no more than four meters, and a width of about two and a half meters would be ideal. Such parameters will be an excellent solution not only for a summer resident caring for crops, but also for plants growing in a greenhouse.
If we talk about the location of the greenhouse building, then when choosing a place for this, the following aspects should be taken into account:
- the greenhouse should not be located under the shade of buildings or trees;
- you need to provide a good approach to the design, so that it is comfortable to care for the plants;
- it is necessary to take into account the direction of the winds, which prevails in the area, then heat losses will significantly decrease.
Schemes and drawings
You should think in advance about what kind of structure the roof will have, as well as where the windows and doors will be located. When creating a diagram of a future greenhouse, it should be precisely taken into account that the nodes of the connections and parts of the bearing nature should be evenly spaced. Only then can sustainability be achieved. And also when developing a drawing of a future structure, you should consider what the outer coating will be. And special attention will need to be paid to the mass of material. If the canvas or film is relatively light, then sheets of a material such as polycarbonate are quite heavy and can damage the building. When choosing material with a considerable mass, you should consider additional supports and place them in the middle of the greenhouse roof.
Before creating a building from polypropylene with your own hand, you must have the most clear and accurate drawing, where all parts and components, categories of fasteners, dimensions and other physical parameters will be marked. The advantage of polypropylene pipes, which should be taken into account when developing drawing documentation, will be that they are suitable for creating any type of greenhouse.
Step by step manufacturing
Consider how to build a greenhouse from polypropylene pipes with your own hands. This process will be explored step by step.
Before starting the construction of the greenhouse, it is required to level the place where it will be conducted. For this, a marking on the ground of the place of the future greenhouse is carried out using pegs and a rope. After that, the site is checked by level. If there is a slope of more than one degree, realignment is carried out. A sand pillow should be made under the foundation, the thickness of which will be five to ten centimeters.
Usually, a timber bar with a section of 10 by 10 centimeters is used as a foundation for such premises. It distributes the load evenly and can last about ten to fifteen years. Its cost is low, and installation can be carried out relatively quickly.
If we talk about creating a foundation, then the algorithm of actions will include a number of sequential actions
- The timber is sawn to the size of the future building, impregnated with antiseptic agents in the area of the lower rims, and then dried. By the way, it is better to treat wood with an antiseptic using a sprayer.
- The assembly of the foundation begins directly on the site. The beam is laid on a sand cushion or brick auxiliary posts. The dimensions are checked.
- We lay the timber. It is connected to each other using self-tapping screws and metal corners. If the length is not enough, then the bar is fastened with staples. If you need high-quality grip with the ground, then you can use special lugs. All fasteners must be protected against corrosion.
- Sand is poured along the foundation perimeter with its final consolidation. You can also immediately make paths and fence the beds.
The assembly of the greenhouse frame begins with the procurement of pipes of the appropriate size. After completing the segments of the desired size, it is better to mark them with a felt-tip pen, so as not to confuse them later. Depending on the characteristics of the greenhouse, pipe sections of the appropriate sizes will also be needed. Other elements such as the frame of the vents, end-type couplers and doors will be cut out during installation.
We will consider creating a frame using the example of assembling a greenhouse room with the following parameters:
- width - 240 centimeters;
- height - 200 centimeters;
- length - 400 centimeters.
So, in order to create a greenhouse frame from pipes, it is necessary to perform a certain algorithm of actions
- Pipes 1.9 meters long, which are intended to form five intermediate arches, are connected in pairs using crosses.
- End arches are connected by three tees from four pipe sections. Two of them with a length of 1.4 meters will form arcs on the sides, attached to tees with a forty-five degree angle, so that when it was necessary to bend the arch into an arc, the tee sockets were directed downward. It is to them that the pillars of the door opening will subsequently be attached. The 46 cm pipe sections are now mated to the 90-degree tee and combined into one system. By the way, the socket on the side of the mentioned tee is directed perpendicular to the tee axis with an angle of 45 degrees.
- The assembly of two lower ties on the sides is carried out from six 65 cm pipe elements and five tees of a single-plane type for each tie.
Tee outlets are directed exclusively in one direction, as arcs will be attached.
- The assembly of two end ties from pipe sections 76 centimeters long and two tees of a single-plane type per tie is carried out.
- We carry out the assembly of doorways. To do this, we fix pipe sections with a length of 180 centimeters into the lower tees, after which we connect them using the same tees and a 76-centimeter jumper. Now we glue 10-centimeter pipe pieces to the tees, which will be a rack-mount continuation. Then they will need to be cut to size when joining with the arch will be carried out.
- We make the formation of end-type walls. A tightened end connection is carried out using racks and tees and two-plane type solutions at the bottom. At the top of the pipe, cut to size.
- The wireframe assembly now begins on the foundation. To do this yourself, one end-type arch is installed and connected to the ties from below. The first arch of the intermediate plan is installed in the tees on the screeds from the bottom and the subsequent connection to the end one using a 65-cm jumper. Then the arches of the intermediate type are fixed. We carry out the installation of the second end-type wall, joining it with the upper and lower ties located on the sides.
- We check the frame diagonals and, if necessary, align it.Now we fix it on the bar using metal clamps and self-tapping screws.
- Installation of side ties is in progress. They are attached on special furniture-type bolts at a height of 140-160 centimeters on both sides from the inside of the greenhouse. For good rigidity, additional longitudinal ties can be attached.
- The assembly of vents and doors is carried out according to drawings from corners, pipe scraps and tees. Fixing the vents to the frames on the hinges is done using self-tapping screws.
- Now follows the fastening of the doors using hinges in the openings. We do the installation of end pipe ties according to the drawings, attaching them to furniture-type screws.
This completes the assembly of the frame.
Now let's talk about the greenhouse cladding. Most often, a material such as polycarbonate is taken for cladding.
It has many advantages:
- two-layer structure of a honeycomb type, which perfectly retains heat;
- good mechanical strength;
- resistance to ultraviolet rays;
- quick installation;
- rather long term of use - not less than five years.
But the material has its drawbacks:
- it reflects the rays of the sun too much;
- does not tolerate physical effects;
- If installed incorrectly, moisture will accumulate inside the material, causing the material to become dull.
So, for sheathing a greenhouse with polycarbonate, several sequential steps should be taken
- Dismantle the film and mark the upper part with a felt-tip pen (the film is usually colored with the company logo on it). It is better to make a couple of notes on all sheets.
- We cut out polycarbonate for end-type walls. You need to take a regular sheet and cut it into three pieces 2 by 2 meters. One part should be attached to the greenhouse end so that the cavities are directed vertically. We level the left side along the corresponding edge and draw arc contours with a felt-tip pen to the left rack and down from it. Repeat the steps with the right edge. As a result, we should get two semi-arched contours. Using a jigsaw or an assembly-type knife, we cut them out with a small allowance of three to five centimeters. We do the same with the second end.
- Fastening of the cut out elements is carried out using self-tapping screws with thermal washers using a screwdriver. The distance between the fasteners should be 0.3-0.5 meters. Better not to pinch the material. If there are surpluses, they are trimmed with a knife.
- The third cut is used for sheathing vents and doors. The sheet is attached to the doors with observance of verticality. The doors are outlined with a margin, after which the blanks are cut out and attached to the doors and vents. An arch above the door is cut from the remaining parts of the material.
- Now the greenhouse top is closed by laying the sheet on top of the two and aligning along one of the lower edges, and the second is trimmed along the way. They are fixed at the corners.
- In the butt joint, the second sheet overlaps the first. Now the corners are attached with screws from the bottom and to the arcs with a distance of 0.4-0.6 meters.
Now we will give literally a few recommendations, which will make the process of creating a greenhouse better:
- the best solution for creating a greenhouse would be PVC pipes, which are quite flexible and durable;
- it is better to prepare components right away, so that later you do not waste time buying them;
- it is better to make the foundation of the greenhouse from good boards;
- if steel rods are not at hand, then they can be replaced with fittings.
For how to make a greenhouse from polypropylene pipes with your own hands, see the next video.