During installation, the toilet flush cistern is connected to the cold water pipeline through a hose. During the operation of the plumbing device, the hose wears out and loses its performance over time, therefore it periodically requires replacement. How an inexperienced person to choose a connecting hose for self-replacement of the water supply system is described in the article.
There are several options for liner, between which there are significant differences. The choice of hose will largely depend on the type of water supply, which provides for the design of the already installed plumbing.
Lateral supply is most common. The hole is located on the side of the drain tank. This arrangement is convenient for performing installation and repair work. True, in some cases, the desired side of the tank may be close to the wall, sink or other interior items
In such situations, flexible hoses come to the rescue, which will be discussed in more detail below.
Rear eyeliner has its own characteristics that must be taken into account in the process of installation work. It is not very popular, since toilets are usually installed close to the wall, and here some distance is required. Maintaining such a system would be problematic
Bottom eyeliner is the most attractive system since all pipes are hidden from the users' eyes. But it is rather difficult in terms of installation and sealing
Types of hoses
The stores offer a wide variety of water hoses for connecting to the toilet. However, this entire assortment is divided into two large groups.
They still remain in demand, although other options have been on the market for a long time. They are mainly used in old buildings. Such elements are made of metal: steel, brass, copper, bronze.
This type of water supply is characterized by high reliability and long service life (ranging from 15 to 20 years, depending on material and conditions). The best performance is provided by stainless steel liners, which are highly resistant to corrosion.
The rigid connection is difficult to assemble. This process takes a lot of time and effort and requires the use of a professional tool. It will be difficult for a person without experience to cope with this work.
They are highly popular due to their elasticity, which is combined with reliability and relative durability. This type of supply is characterized by a number of positive features:
- simple and quick installation;
- low likelihood of leaks;
- high reliability;
- affordable cost;
- attractive appearance and compactness.
The flexible supply, in turn, is divided into bellows and reinforced versions.
Bellows hoses are mostly made of stainless steel, they come in different diameters and lengths. Their features are:
- the ability to take on different forms;
- stretch to the desired length;
- withstand large temperature drops and water shocks.
High-quality liners of this type can be used up to 25 years old.
Reinforced flexible hoses are made from rubber and stainless steel. There is also high resistance to temperature extremes, although the range is not as wide as in the case of bellows counterparts. Therefore, they are not used for the installation of heating systems, but they are excellent for connecting toilets. The structure consists of a rubber hose, on top of which there is a reinforced casing (shell) made of stainless steel. The cost of such a supply is lower than that of bellows, but the service life is not so long.
You should not rush to the store for the toilet connection hose. First, you need to collect some information that will help you make the right choice, even without the help of a specialist:
- measure the distance from the pipe to the toilet and determine on the spot the diameter of the hose;
- the design features of the flush tank will help to take into account the connection method (side, rear, bottom);
- the thread can be external or internal, the hoses for such systems will be different;
- since cold water is connected to the toilet, the corresponding hose is also needed: with a blue designation;
- find out the working pressure of the water in the pipeline;
- outlet fittings must match the thread of the equipment - in this case, you do not have to use adapters;
- preferred materials are plastic and silumin;
- good liner will not be light, as light weight is one of the signs of poor hose quality;
- gaskets are responsible for the tightness of the system, so you cannot save on their quality;
- the fitting or nipple also needs to be of high quality, it is better to give preference to brass, rather than plastic, which quickly cracks and leads to the formation of leaks;
- it is better to choose hoses from reliable European manufacturers who are trusted not only by ordinary users, but also by specialists.
Installation of modern carts does not cause any particular difficulties. If you follow the advice of experts, you will be able to achieve a positive result without any particular difficulties.
- Inspection of the purchased eyeliner with an assessment of its integrity. If there are even the slightest cracks, you will have to put it aside and go to the store for a new hose. In the future, any defect develops into a serious problem, leading to the fact that after a short time it will be necessary to again engage in replacing the water supply to the toilet.
- Shut off the water supply before installation work.so that you and your neighbors do not have a flood.
- To prevent the formation of corrosion on the elements of the supply system it is necessary to correctly perform all the connections … It is important to observe the conformity of the materials from which the different parts are made. For example, copper must be combined with the same copper, brass with brass or copper, which is allowed by the installation rules.
- Hoses must not be overstretched or kinked.… From this, their service life and the strength of the entire system will be reduced. It is better to immediately buy a hose with a margin of length.
- Threaded connecting parts (nuts, fittings) must not be tightened too much. In addition, all joints are necessarily sealed with a silicone-based sealant or polymer plumbing tape. The sealant must be allowed to dry for several hours, and only then engage in a trial run of water into the toilet cistern.
- According to the rules, the bending radius of the pipe should be 5 times largerthan the outer diameter.
- Upon completion of the installation work, the system must be checked for leaks. To do this, you need to observe its functioning for some time. If even the slightest leaks are detected, the joints will need to be tightened more tightly.
The water supply to the toilet is inspected for leaks twice a year. The hose should be replaced every 6-7 years (despite the claims of manufacturers for a longer service life).
For information on how to change the hose on the drain barrel, see the next video.