There is a toilet in every home, and sometimes it breaks down. At such moments, it is often embarrassing to contact the master. If the toilet does not perform its direct function, it flushes poorly, then it is difficult to use it for its intended purpose. To fix a problem, you must first identify it. And when choosing a toilet, you should learn more about the flush system in advance.
Often, the toilet flushes poorly due to problems with the water drain system itself. To solve the problem on your own, you must first identify the source of the problem. Let's consider the possible causes of the trouble.
- If the water stagnates, then, most likely, a plug has formed in the sewer.… When the liquid passes, but slowly, it means that the blockage is small.
- The drain pipe is small in diameter … With prolonged use, deposits appear on the walls, which interfere with the circulation of water. The pipe can overgrow them, then only 1/3 of the original diameter remains. This happens especially quickly if water is supplied from underground sources. In this case, it is enriched with mineral salts, which additionally clog the drain.
- It is worth checking if there is water in the tank itself. It happens that scale gets into the sewer system, which clogs the hose. Also, the flushing process can be disrupted due to the lack of a tank cap. It must always be reinstalled.
- Debris could have gotten inside the drain … Sometimes it is even rubber hoses from the float valve. They are used to ensure that water from the sewer is drawn as quietly as possible. Typically, the hose will pop off if the tank cap is not in place.
- Float valve not adjusted or set incorrectly. As a result, it shuts off the water supply prematurely.
- The tank is constantly leaking. He simply does not have time to fill with liquid, because it is constantly coming off.
- Float valve clogged with debris … In its design there is a nozzle, into which dross or grains of sand can fall. This does not happen if a filter is installed in the hose in front of the reservoir.
- The supply line to the cistern is clogged with any debris or overgrown. This problem is especially relevant if there are steel pipes in the house.
In a private home, toilet problems look a little different. The sewage system here is not arranged in the same way as in the apartments. Often during installation, the norms are not respected, so the liquid passes slowly. Experts identify a number of reasons for poor water permeability associated with poor-quality installation and the devices themselves in general.
- No fan riser. Such a pipe serves as ventilation for the sewer system. It allows the collected gases to escape. In the absence of a fan riser, air plugs form inside the pipes. Because of this, the water stops or simply loses speed. There is also a concomitant symptom of this problem: gases still find their way out of the sewer. In this case, an unpleasant smell can be heard from the toilet, bathtub and sinks.
- Incorrect pipe slope … The problem is associated with improper drainage of the sewage system as a whole. The reason can be both in the section that leads to the septic tank, and in the fact that leads to the connecting pipe. It will not be possible to fix these problems in a simple way.
- Poor toilet design … If the plumbing itself is new, then the problem may be in it. A toilet bowl with a shelf often becomes a source of trouble for its owners. Modern models often have a drain in the center or with a slight slope. In this case, the bowls are shaped like funnels.
- The location of the drain hole in the toilet. Just one outlet for water in the center will not do the job. Washing in a circle is much better and more durable.
Sometimes the reasons are even more commonplace. For example, models with a button are fraught with danger in it. Especially if the tank lid was removed and placed incorrectly. In this case, you will notice that the toilet is constantly flushing a small amount of water.
If it was after cleaning the tank that the flush began to work poorly, then you should make sure that the structure was assembled correctly.
It is not only plaque that can clog the water drain holes. Sometimes, plain paper thrown into the toilet can lead to similar problems. It can also cling to deposits inside the drain pipe. In this case, the water does not drain or does it too slowly.
When the cause of the bad flush is established, it's time to start correcting the situation. By the way, sometimes even damaged enamel leads to a deterioration in flushing. Therefore, if in doubt, then it is worth examining its integrity. Scratches, cracks, and chips can trap water and waste, keeping them out of the drain. This problem is relevant for all ceramic sanitary ware.
In this case, it would be better to completely replace the toilet. But even if this is not possible, the situation can be resolved. For repair work, you should take a ceramic putty or waterproof sealant, powder paint and a gun for applying it. Further actions are as follows.
- Clean and degrease the inside of the bowl. Beforehand, you should turn off the water and dry the entire toilet, including the cistern.
- Fine sanding paper clean up the chips and other damage.
- Apply putty or sealant to the desired areas.
- Dry the surface … Paint it white.
- Do not use the toilet for its intended purpose until all materials are completely dry. Usually it is 48-72 hours. You should find out the exact information in the instructions or on the packaging.
Such repairs will only temporarily fix the problem. However, this may be enough to keep an eye on a new toilet. If the appearance of the bowl is completely normal and there is no damage, then the problem lies in the sewage system or in the drainage system. The decision will not take long.
This is a fairly common cause of poor toilet drainage. To solve this problem, you should use the following instructions.
- Look under the pear. Perhaps the debris has accumulated there and can be easily removed.
- If the blockage is visible, but it is impossible to pull it out by hand, then turn off the water supply and take tweezers with a flashlight. There is a chance that a foreign object can be reached without disassembling the toilet. It is worth noting that the blockage under the pear is the most common and it is easy to remove it.
- If the problem in the cistern is not visible or you still did not manage to get it, then you will have to disassemble the toilet … To do this, unscrew the bolts between the tank and the shelf, remove the upper part. Remove debris or clean out if plaque is involved. Assemble the toilet.
Some models have a separate shelf for the cistern. Then it makes sense to unwind the fasteners between it and the bowl. This gives you maximum access to the flush system. It is worth noting that with this option, you will have to replace the cuff under the shelf with a new one. During operation, it becomes less elastic and simply breaks during disassembly.
The volume of the tank is not accumulated
It can be difficult to fix a tank leak, especially if the problem lies in the design itself. But some actions can still be taken.
- If the saddle of the pear is clogged, and it does not block the flow of water to the end, then it is enough to clean it. After simple manipulations, everything will return to normal.
- It happens that the pear loses its elasticity or breaks during operation. In this case, you need to buy a new one and make a replacement. Such a thing is inexpensive, and its replacement will not cause difficulties.
- If steel or plastic bolts inside the tank itself have collapsed, then water will penetrate into the shelf through the resulting gaps. Here you have to decide on the situation. Bolts can sometimes be found and replaced.
In especially sad cases, the dismantling of the entire set of fittings is required.
Water does not flow into the tank
Here, too, you will have to build on the nature of the problem. If the blockage is due to plaque, then just clean the valve. This is achieved by the following actions.
- Shut off the water only to the toilet cistern.
- Take out the hairpin. It serves as a retainer for the float arm in the valve.
- Clean the nozzle with a small flexible wire. You can also use a knitting needle, but the process will take longer.
- As a result, the part should be completely clean.
- Open the tank valve for literally 1 second. So the water will take out the remains of small debris.
- Assemble the valve, turn on the water and make sure the drain is good.
If garbage gets into the drain, you will have to spend a little more time. Experts recommend using the instructions below.
- Shut off the water for the entire apartment.
- Unscrew the flexible hose connected to the tank.
- Remove the valve that cuts off the water supply to the tank. If there is a ball version that blocks the water by turning a flag, then everything is simple. It is enough to open it to the maximum in order to dismantle it.
- Now you have to make a pipe cleaner. Steel string for curtains is ideal. On one side you need to make a hook, on the other - a kind of handle. With the help of the resulting tool, it will be possible to comfortably grab and pull out the debris.
- It so happens that the string simply passes by the alleged blockage. You should substitute something under the drain valve and turn on the water supply for literally 1 second. Most likely, it will gush out and stop immediately. In this case, you need to continue to wiggle the string in the place of blockage. The water will pour in and knock out the debris.
It is worth noting that pipes made of metal-plastic and polymer are not clogged. With such a sewage system, the reason for poor flushing is definitely not this. If the blockage happened, then it is exactly within the limits of the toilet in the apartment. These pipes make life much easier.
Oddly enough, it is worth thinking about poor flushing when choosing a toilet and during the first time it is used. Sometimes a bad purchase becomes a problem after months or years. Let's consider the main recommendations in this regard.
- It is worth paying attention to the location of the tank. The top one always washes away better than the bottom one. It provides a more powerful water pressure. If possible, then it is worth installing the tank higher.
- Pivot flush toilets are good and popular, but they do get in trouble during use. It just so happened that it is the back wall that gets dirty the most. The circular flush washes the entire bowl completely without splashing. However, for the most polluted area, there is little water, and its pressure is rather weak. Therefore, in some cases the flush may be poor.
- The visor inside the bowl is a good indicator. Thanks to it, the flushing efficiency is increased. But quite often such a design becomes a source of an unpleasant odor. Waste remains on the visor for too long, which leads to inconvenience. But the flush is really better than that of analogues.
- The material of the bowl also matters. Porcelain sanitary ware is considered the best: the surface is smooth, has almost no pores, and nothing interferes with the flow of water. Glazed faience is also good in practice. It is only slightly inferior to porcelain. But ceramics can bring a lot of problems. The enamel on it deteriorates easily, and chips interfere with the circulation of water.
- Any tank should be properly monitored. Clean the nozzle and other areas of overgrowth regularly.
It is important that the tank cap is always in place. Otherwise, an object may get inside, which will interfere with normal drainage.
For information on how to check the correct operation of the toilet flush, see the next video.