The rimless toilet is a serious competitor to its classic counterparts by increasing the level of hygienic cleanliness and safety of plumbing. Most often, models of this type are offered by representatives of the premium segment - Roca Gap, Cersanit and other popular brands. What it is, what are the pros and cons of toilets without a rim should be considered when buying, a detailed overview of the options on the market and customer reviews will tell you.
What it is?
A rimless toilet is a modern sanitary fixture with an improved bowl design. Instead of the traditional flush mechanism, which directs the flow of water under the rim, it is equipped with a sprayer that rinses the entire bowl evenly. A toilet without a rim allows you to use water much more economically by installing a divider.
Moreover, the absence of a rim has a positive effect on the indicators of hygienic cleanliness. Hard-to-reach places are absent, which means that bacterial plaque does not accumulate.
The rimless toilet differs little from the classic one in terms of its functionality and installation method. The main difference lies precisely in the absence of a side. The rimless design does not retain moisture or impurities. The bowl is completely washed, and the direction of the water flow is regulated by the geometry of the sanitary ware. The jets are distributed horizontally, not vertically.
A distinctive feature of rimless toilets is the lack of a single standard. For different manufacturers, the models differ somewhat in the form and shape of the bowl. For example, there are whole rulers, in which, instead of a rim, a depression is made in the upper part. Perfectly even bowls are also not uncommon - in such models, the dividers immediately distribute the intensity of the liquid supply so that it evenly washed the entire surface area.
Advantages and disadvantages
Rimless toilets have obvious advantages. Among their advantages can be distinguished.
- Aesthetic appeal. The absence of a rim allows plumbing manufacturers to easily implement the most daring design ideas and solutions. You can find a model in a futuristic style or an elegant classic version.
- Simplification of the cleaning process. Surface contamination can be easily removed without wasting time cleaning areas that require special attention.
- Savings on the purchase of detergents. Having calculated how much is spent annually on fighting bacteria under the rim of the toilet, you can easily decide to replace the plumbing.
- Reduced water consumption. But this is true only for models with an installation cistern, in which the drainage rate is always noticeably higher. Models with a classic compact cistern do not have such properties.
- Long service life. Due to the absence of the need for frequent mechanical or dry cleaning, the glazed coating retains its attractiveness longer, does not crack, and the risk of lime deposits is reduced.
- Affordable cost. It is almost identical to that installed on classic toilet bowls. Accordingly, when replacing plumbing, you can think about choosing a more current model.
- Compliance with modern standards. Outlets, fittings, other elements of such toilets are better adapted to pipes made of metal-plastic, HDPE, they can be easily installed in country houses.
And yet there is a difference. For a number of parameters, the rim toilet is still better. The disadvantages include the possible splashing of water from the bowl, which is present in some models. In addition, there are also questions regarding the level of hygienic cleanliness - many toilets do not meet a number of standards established in the Russian Federation.
The main classification of rimless toilets is directly related to the way they are placed in space. Depending on whether it is supposed to carry out installation with the output of communications to the floor or to the wall, different plumbing options can be used - hinged with an oblique outlet, floor, attached. The type of tank also matters. The classic compact is rarely used here, much more often a monoblock is mounted with a hidden installation of the drain system in the wall.
In terms of functionality, rimless toilets are also very different. There are options with a bidet and models for people with limited mobility, options with a lift system to lift the lid. The more options, the more expensive plumbing is to buy, but sometimes this is justified by the increased level of comfort. A detailed overview of their capabilities and installation methods will help you to appreciate the features of each group of toilets.
The simplest solutions, which do not differ in the installation method from most classic toilets, are floor models. They have at their base a platform with which they are fastened.
Often the kit comes with a microlift or a bidet function, and other options. Since the floor is the support, the structure can be quite cumbersome.
The drain system is usually represented by a compact system tank. It is not very economical in terms of water consumption, but it is easy to install and maintain. It is worth considering that rimless toilets in this design are not found too often, gradually giving way to hanging models. Floor-mounted versions can be equipped with an oblique outlet, as well as additional options in the form of motion sensors, compartments with fragrances for draining, cleaning and refreshing liquids for disinfection.
The modern solution is a rimless hanging toilet, which is not mounted to the floor, but on a special mount that is built into the wall. Due to the fact that the basis is a solid steel frame - an installation that ensures the performance of load-bearing functions, installation is possible almost anywhere in the bathroom. It is on it that the hanging cistern, the piping system, and the plumbing fixture itself rests. Externally, hanging toilet bowls look more compact, as if floating above the floor. The main convenience lies in the choice of planting height - you can fix the bowl at any desired level.
Hanging toilets are great for installation in small bathrooms or toilets where every available meter counts. Systems of this type are often referred to as monoblocks because of their features.
Toilets of this type are installed close to the wall, they can have an external cistern structure or a monoblock installed behind a partition. In the second case, only the flush button is displayed outside, everything else remains hidden from prying eyes. The shape of the bowl of such a toilet can be almost any:
- classic oval;
- with a contoured internal flush;
The choice of material also matters. Most often, porcelain and faience of sanitary categories are used for the manufacture of attached toilets without a rim. There are also metal options from stainless steel. They are easy to clean and are most often installed in public spaces. We can say that side-to-side toilets are a good compromise between classic floor-standing and wall-hung options, suitable for replacing existing plumbing fixtures. If you don't want to create an installation, you can find a solution with an external drain - the tanks of such models are quite compact.
The best manufacturers and models
Among the countries that produce rimless toilets, the undisputed leader is Japan - a recognized favorite in the race for technical progress. Other countries - Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Turkey - are not lagging behind. Before giving preference to a specific brand, it is worth studying the manufacturer's rating, which already has many noteworthy names. Among the industry leaders.
Villeroy & Boch. A German multinational company with over 250 years of experience. The brand specializes in ceramics, producing both porcelain and earthenware products. The collections include toilets for people with reduced mobility, wall-mounted and conventional. Almost all rimless models have a horizontal release, among them such popular options as Architectura, O Novo, Subway
Ideal Standard. The company from Belgium is famous for simple and minimalistic solutions without saving on comfort. Its assortment includes rimless toilets with floor-standing and hanging type of attachment. Among the popular models, the most interesting are the variants of Eurovit, Tesi, Connect with an open mount
Laufen. Swiss brand of luxury sanitary ware specializing in original shapes and consumer comfort. Among its models are the pendant model Pro Rimless with a semi-oval bowl and Pro S Rimless with a square shape. Interesting model Alessi One Rimless, which looks like an egg
Grohe. The German company is one of the leaders in the plumbing industry. The brand is famous for its original approach to design, high functionality and reliability. Popular rimless models include the Euro Ceramic and Bau Ceramic suspension compacts with a hygienic seat cover
SSWW. The luxury plumbing brand with this name is a popular German brand. The company has been operating for over 20 years and is considered one of the market leaders in the EU countries. The collections include models of wall-hung toilet bowls with ultra-thin seats and a laconic bowl shape
Kolo. The plumbing fixtures are made in Poland, they are distinguished by their stylish design and average price range. The company offers rimless toilets in the Kolo Nova, Kolo Nova Pro Rimfree collections, guaranteeing excellent product quality
Cersanit. Polish manufacturer of inexpensive bathroom fixtures for the home. Popular rimless models include Cersanit Parva, Cersanit Carina with a versatile design. This is a good solution for those who want to see rimless systems in action
Roca. The Spanish manufacturer is praised for the reliability and stylish design of its products, but questions about quality periodically arise. That is why he did not manage to rise high in the rating. The brand produces its sanitary ware in Russia, at a plant in Tosno. Among the models without a rim, the Roca Gap Clean Rim is especially popular
VitrA. A renowned sanitary brand that produces a wide range of anti-splash rimless toilets. The models of this company are quite popular for installation in public places, they are famous for their affordable price. Most toilets are equipped with dispensers for disinfecting liquids
Gustavsberg. The Swedish company produces high-quality sanitary ware for European countries. The emphasis is placed on rimless pendant models, supplied separately and complete with installations. Of particular interest is the Hygienic Flush series, which has colored and white toilets of various types and designs
BelBagno. Italian sanitary ware manufactured in China has a wide range of models. Among the popular options for rimless toilets from the brand are the BelBagno Deluca, BelBagno Ancona models, as well as the BelBagno Marino monoblock
Keramag. German company that produces plumbing fixtures. The company is renowned for its high quality products and belongs to the Geberit Group. Among the rimless models of toilet bowls, Renova Nr., Geberit Icon Rimfree deserve special attention
IFO. A sanitary ware brand also owned by the Geberit Group. Geographically, it is located in Sweden, the products are presented rather in the budget price category, which makes them very popular in Russia
This is the main list of brands and models that deserve attention in the rimless sanitary ware market. It is worth considering that almost identical products made of porcelain and earthenware can have an almost twofold difference in price. Steel plumbing is a rarity in Russia, most often it has to be brought from abroad on an individual order.
In order to choose the right rimless toilet, you just need to pay attention to those characteristics that are important specifically for a particular user. The most important selection criteria.
- Convenience of fastening. In most cases, the installation costs much more than a floor-standing installation; you have to additionally find the area for its installation. Floor-standing and attached models with an external tank are devoid of these shortcomings.
- Manufacturing material. Most often, porcelain is used - the most aesthetic, long-lasting color. In a high-tech interior, stainless steel models will be appropriate. You can save money by choosing a faience rimless toilet.
- Workmanship. There will be no roughness, dents, areas of uneven color or shine on the surface of the product that has passed the quality control. If there are obvious defects, you can suspect a counterfeit of branded products.
- Strength. Here, rimless steel toilets made of stainless steel are the leaders. Porcelain models are the most fragile, impact can lead to equipment destruction. Earthenware can be called a compromise solution.
- The intensity of the loads. It is believed that the installations can withstand loads of up to 500 kg. But you need to understand that in addition to the toilet bowl, this includes a tank, and the pressure itself is not distributed too evenly. As a result, when choosing a suitable design, it is better to set the maximum values from the very beginning, and sometimes even give preference to floor options altogether.
- Flush system type. Conventional compact modules are not suitable for rimless toilets. Monoblocks are used here, delivering fluid at a higher speed. As a result, when draining, it is possible to obtain an effective rinsing of the bowl.
- Availability of additional components. This includes more than options such as a lid lift system. It is much more important to include the manufacturer in the kit with all the necessary fasteners and assembly parts.
- Price. Installed models cost almost double the price of conventional models. Inexpensive options should be sought from Turkish or Eastern European companies. The best design and quality are offered by Swedish and German brands.
When choosing a toilet, it is worth considering that this product is not included in the category of products subject to exchange or return. Therefore, you need to make a choice so that you do not have to resell the purchased plumbing at a loss. It is worth studying the technical characteristics and parameters of the model from the very beginning, and then making a decision.
According to buyers who have already installed rimless toilets in their home or apartment, these modern plumbing fixtures deserve attention. The quality of the ceramics, which does not change color, are noted. Due to less mechanical stress during cleaning, the enamel looks attractive for a long time. Those who decided to install the installation also note a significant reduction in noise when using the drain system.
Among the positive aspects in customer reviews, the attractive appearance of plumbing fixtures is noted. These are really nice and comfortable toilets, especially in a wall-hung format. Interestingly, many buyers choose square or rectangular bowls instead of the traditional oval ones. The anti-splash system also received positive reviews, which made it possible to remove the main drawback of the first generations of such plumbing - water splashes flying to the floor when flushed.
The disadvantages, according to consumer reviews, include only the high cost of installing the installed structures. By not choosing hanging or side-to-side solutions, problems can be avoided. Several years ago, there were complaints about the poor aesthetics of open mounts. Today they are produced in a hidden form, the mounting assemblies are not visible from the outside of the case.
There are complaints about rimless floor standing compacts. This is where problems arise with the sticky drain button.