Decorating a porch is a very important process that needs to be paid a lot of attention. You need to find good quality materials that are both practical and attractive. In this article, we will learn about the features of frost-resistant and anti-slip tiles that can be used to decorate a porch.
Features of the
Modern frost-resistant tiles with an anti-slip surface are very popular and in demand. The relevance of such a finish is due to the many positive characteristics that are inherent in it.
- The main plus of frost-resistant and anti-slip tiles is their high strength characteristics. Such material is not subject to destruction and mechanical damage. High-quality tiles that are not afraid of frost will remain safe and sound even under the influence of very serious loads.
- The cladding material in question is durable. High-quality anti-slip and frost-resistant tiles can serve for many years, remaining as reliable and attractive as at the very beginning of use.
- Such a cladding is not subject to abrasion, is wear-resistant. Together with increased durability, these characteristics make anti-slip tiles an irreplaceable material.
- Under the influence of low temperatures, the material does not deteriorate, does not crack, does not lose its visual appeal. High-quality frost-resistant tiles will remain beautiful and quite strong even in harsh winters. A simple tile designed for interior decoration cannot boast of such qualities.
- It is very difficult to slip on the non-slip surface of the frost-resistant tile. This feature of the material turns out to be relevant when it comes to the winter period, because at this moment the risk of falling onto the tiled base is very high.
- Modern frost-resistant tiles look attractive. On sale you can find such copies that will give a simple porch a truly chic appearance.
- The range of such finishing materials is huge and is constantly updated with new updated items.
Frost-resistant and anti-slip porch tiles have many advantages. No serious flaws were noticed for such materials.
However, very often, branded cladding is quite expensive and can cost the buyer a tidy sum, especially if you need to trim a large porch.
There are many different types of frost resistant tiles with anti-slip effect. Each of them has different operational characteristics and features that must be taken into account when choosing a certain option for facing the porch. Let's take a closer look at the most popular anti-slip tiles on the market today.
Rubber is a cheap material. Very often, it contains industrial waste, but this does not affect the quality in any way. Rubber does not suffer from low temperatures, does not deteriorate due to contact with moisture and tolerates external mechanical stress without bad consequences. If a person falls on a rubber surface, they are unlikely to break anything or be seriously injured. Rubberized covers are flexible, so they can easily wrap around even sharp corners.Quality rubber finishes are so durable that they can be cleaned without problems with a metal scraper.
Modern manufacturers produce a huge assortment of rubber tiles. They can be of different sizes and colors.
In many retail outlets, you can order a similar coating with a design that a specific customer wants to receive.
Ceramics is popular, but far from the most highly durable material. From the very beginning, it was not intended for finishing the floor (and even more so the porch). But over time, such pieces of ceramic tiles began to go on sale, which were quite suitable for such an application. They boasted decent durability and reliability.
During the operation of such materials, some shortcomings could initially be noticed. Even if the ceramics were made very rough, a certain degree of slipperiness still remained. This material absorbed moisture, which is why it could crack over time. More modern modifications do not suffer from such disadvantages.
Stronger and more reliable tiles with a high quality and durable surface. If you need to decorate the porch with high quality anti-slip and frost-resistant material, then porcelain stoneware is an ideal option. This is a coating that is perfect for outdoor use, so finishing the stairs with it will be the right decision.
The surface of porcelain stoneware is roughened, due to which a more noticeable anti-slip effect is provided. It is a wear-resistant, moisture-resistant, very durable material that is not afraid of low temperatures. Often, porcelain stoneware is used not only for outdoor, but also for finishing works that are carried out inside a residential building.
Of the minuses of porcelain stoneware, only its large weight and not the most democratic price tag can be noted.
For facing steps on the street, paving slabs are very often used. This is the optimal solution for outdoor finishing work. The main advantages of this material are:
- the presence of a non-slip surface;
- high strength indicators;
- color stability, due to which the material is not subject to fading;
- democratic cost.
Paving slabs are presented in a wide range and can have a variety of colors. It is possible to choose the ideal option for any setting and facades.
Of the main disadvantages of paving slabs, it is worth highlighting only a high degree of moisture absorption. Despite the sufficient thickness of such coatings, over time, one way or another, they begin to wear out and even break down.
Users who want to decorate the porch in an expensive and aristocratic way often choose this type of tile for the entrance area. Natural stone is the strongest, most durable and durable material, but at the same time it has a very high cost. To decorate the porch with stone, the consumer will have to prepare for serious expenses.
Natural stone is well suited for cladding outdoor substrates. It does not deteriorate being in the open air, does not lose its former aesthetics and does not deteriorate from mechanical damage.
Most often, buyers refuse to purchase such a finish only because of its high price, since the stone simply does not have other serious shortcomings.
Clinker tiles are suitable for outdoor cladding. It is made from shale clay without the addition of auxiliary components. Due to the homogeneity of its structure, the raw material can boast of very high strength and resistance to moisture or moisture. Clinker tiles do not require special care, being at the same time frost-resistant. The material is resistant to wear and tear, so it can last for many years.True, such a facing of the porch can be expensive for the consumer.
This type of tile attracts consumers with an affordable cost. A well-laid concrete pavement looks interesting and attractive.
But the main problem is that the specified tile is poorly suited for use in low temperatures. It is impossible to call it the most frost-resistant.
How to choose?
Choosing high-quality frost-resistant and non-slip tiles for facing the porch should be as careful as possible, paying attention to a number of important criteria. Only with this approach will it be possible to find a safe, attractive and durable material.
Let's consider what parameters of a tile should be based on
- Wear resistance. It depends on her how soon the material will lose its original appearance and wear out. The abrasion rate shows how many people will need to walk on a tile to be replaced. The specified parameter has values from 1 to 5. For finishing the porch, an average indicator will be enough - 3 or 4.
- Slip. If a porch finish is planned, then it is very important to choose a material that has a non-slip surface. It is much easier to slip and fall on the steps than just on the floor of the house. The sliding level of modern tiles is indicated by R and can also vary. It is recommended to look closely at such materials, the coefficient of which is not less than 9. Non-slip coatings for finishing the porch must be rough. In some cases, the material may have not very deep grooves in the pattern, which act in the same way as roughness.
- Resistant to frost. This material indicator is indicated not by a letter, but by a snowflake icon and can have a value ranging from 0 to 300. The choice of a specific option should be based on the level of severity of winters in the region. If the temperature values barely go below zero, then you can trim the porch with tiles marked 25. In cases where the temperature usually drops below 10 degrees, material with the designation 100 is suitable.
- Resistance to aggressive environments. A corrosive environment is usually indicated by a small chemical flask. Resilience also varies. If we are talking about home use of finishes, then too high indicators will not be strongly needed - 10% is enough. Such material will be resistant to moisture.
- Hardness indicators. It depends on these parameters of the tile how resistant it will be to external mechanical influences. The coefficient can be from 1 to 10. The higher the indicator, the higher the hardness of the tile.
- Flexural strength. The level of flexibility of the tile will depend on this parameter. Frost-resistant and non-slip porch covers, if not made of rubber, usually have a very small coefficient. But rubber specimens have almost one hundred percent bending strength, so even semicircular steps can be safely trimmed with them.
- Indicators of the thickness of anti-slip tiles. The level of strength of the cladding will depend on the thickness. The thinner the tile, the easier it is to break or split. Lower coefficients are assigned specifically to thin materials. For facing the porch, it is recommended to purchase tiles with medium thicknesses.
- Manufacturer. Today, many large brands produce high-quality non-slip and frost-resistant tiles of various types. It is highly recommended to give preference only to branded products of high quality, and not to skimp on buying cheap, but short-lived and unsafe coatings. Original branded products can be found in specialized retail outlets with a good reputation.
- Material condition. Make sure to buy a complete material that is free of chips, cracks, scuffs and other possible defects.Porch tiles should be of high quality, brand new. Defective materials should not be taken, even if you are offered a good discount.
- Design. Do not forget about the design of the selected cladding materials. The tiles that decorate the porch should look harmoniously against the background of other objects and finishing materials that decorate the dwelling. If we neglect this feature of choice, then the porch will look unattractive and simply out of the picture.