The ladder is one of the most traumatic structures. Falling from it can lead to very serious injuries - bruises and fractures. Most often, such problems are associated with slippery surfaces of finishing materials that decorate the steps. In this article, we will learn about the anti-slip profile, which can make the operation of porches and stairs safer.
Features of the
The range of finishing materials today allows you to choose high-quality and beautiful products for finishing absolutely any foundations. So, for the design of steps of stairs and porches, there are many different coatings for the choice of buyers, for example, tiles, porcelain stoneware or stone - options "sea".
But their use is not always completely safe. On the same tile, people can slip while climbing stairs. To avoid such problems, special anti-slip profiles are produced.
The products have a lot of advantages that make them very practical and easy to use
- Anti-slip profiles significantly reduce staircase wear. It's no secret that the constant use of stairs leads to abrasions, microscopic cracks and other cosmetic defects. Due to the presence of an anti-slip profile on the steps, they are less dirty.
- The linings in question are used on a wide variety of grounds. The staircase can be almost any, made of different materials - the steps can be marble, wood, concrete. In addition, the overlays can be installed not only on steps, but also on other substrates, such as walls or floors.
- The anti-slip profile can be a good design element. Structures take on a more attractive appearance, especially when it comes to corner varieties. A special corner strip is able to preserve the original appearance of such bases, therefore, even after many years, the steps remain aesthetic and neat.
The main disadvantage of anti-slip profiles is that flat linings often stick to the surface of the shoe in wet conditions. This minus cannot be called too serious, but it must be borne in mind that due to such problems, the coating of the rubber band is depleted much faster.
Anti-slip profiles are different. First of all, they are divided into overhead and frame varieties. Each of the options is distinguished by its device and styling method. All the features and nuances of using different types of linings must be taken into account if you plan to select and purchase them.
Such types of profiles can be called self-adhesive anti-slip pads with a rubber base and a special top coating. Overhead types of profiles are subdivided into several more subspecies. Let's get to know them better.
Abrasive. A variant characterized by a very high resistance to temperature fluctuations. Designed for a long service life
Decorative. Such types of overhead profiles are presented in a wide range. They have different colors and different density values - from low to high
Facing. These are anti-slip pads with an angular shape.Typically, cover profiles are made of rubber without additional coating
Polymeric. These are linings that are made of polyvinyl chloride with high wear resistance. The material is durable
The main advantage of overhead profiles is their ease of installation. To fix such parts, you need to use a special adhesive or self-adhesive film.
True, the main disadvantage of overhead products follows from these advantages - a very short service life. The most recent overhead developments (called Euro-steps) can be operated for no more than 4 years. The main percentage of profiles sold in the store is designed for a service life of no more than 1.5 years.
The name of these profiles speaks for itself. They have a very solid and reliable base, unlike overhead options. The aluminum skeleton acts as a basis. Due to these features, the frame linings are held on the base much stronger and longer. A high level of wear resistance is guaranteed by the fact that the elements are not glued to the surface of the step, but are attached directly to the base of the staircase by means of special screws.
Products with an aluminum base are also distinguished by the fact that they are complemented by special coatings. This suggests that in order to implement their main tasks, such products only need to be fixed on the basis and nothing more.
Because of these features, most frame varieties have the simplest structure, consisting of the following elements:
- metal frame (can be made of brass or aluminum) - allows you to fix the cover as securely as possible;
- rubberized coating, the width of which can be 4 cm - it is it that prevents slipping.
Despite the elementary device, metal options are able to provide very high reliability of fasteners, regardless of their shape. The anti-slip properties of the elements in question are impeccable.
But frame profiles have one drawback - they are more complicated in terms of installation. Models with a metal frame can only be installed directly on the base of the stairs.
High quality anti-slip profiles are made from different materials. It is imperative to pay attention to this parameter of such items, since it affects their operational characteristics.
To ensure the safe movement of users in slippery areas, rubber is often used in the manufacture of anti-slip profiles. This material must necessarily be characterized by increased elasticity, to prevent dangerous slipping. In addition, the rubber from which modern linings are made is not subject to deformation or destruction under the influence of temperature extremes. The elasticity of rubber products is not lost even at temperatures of -50 degrees Celsius. At the moment when a person takes a step on such a pad, it is simply pressed in, due to which it forms a very good slip resistance.
Some of the rubber specimens are endowed with self-cleaning properties even at the time of production. So, even with slight deformation, the ice film breaks and cracks, stopping the appearance of the ice crust. Rubber pads have another interesting property. It is about high depreciation. This suggests that even if a person falls on a flight of stairs, the risk of injury is minimized.
It is possible to attach not only rubberized, but also an aluminum anti-slip profile to the stairs. On the basis of such parts, combined models of overlays are produced. I.e, an insert made of rubber or other non-slip raw materials is installed in the profile. Such a variation of the part can be easily fixed on the surface of the steps. Aluminum products protect pedestrians from possible slipping both on the street and in the interior of the premises. On sale there are not only flat, but also L-shaped aluminum profiles.
In most cases, their design is fixed on such types of ladder bases that are used in places with an increased intensity of pedestrian traffic. For example, it can be the entrance area of train stations or shopping centers. This quality framing profile type can effectively protect both steps and risers. Profiles made of aluminum are attached to the steps using self-tapping screws and dowels.
As the rubber part wears out, it should be replaced with a new one. This design can be one of the most reliable and durable modifications in its class, and therefore is insanely popular.
How to choose?
Care must be taken when choosing an anti-slip flat profile or corner covering the edge of steps or thresholds. The choice of the optimal product largely depends on the location of the base. The structure, which is located inside the house, is allowed to be supplemented with overlays on the steps, made not of rubber, but of carpet. But for the porch, you need to choose only aluminum, rubber or rubber elements.
In order to select the right product to fully meet the expectations of the buyer, you should pay attention to the following important parameters
- Dimensions of the steps. The dimensional parameters of the overlays and gait must be the same.
- The intensity of the operation of the stairs. Based on this, you should select the ideal lining material.
- High-quality and reliable fixation. When using coatings of small sizes, it is very important to think over the ways of their fastening to the protected base.
- Combination of anti-slip profiles and surroundings. This criterion is especially important when it comes to the selection of overlays for stairs located inside private houses.
It must be remembered that pads designed for outdoor use must perform not only anti-slip, but also an effective protective function. So, for outdoor structures, the following variations of the elements in question are best suited.
- The best solution would be rubber or polymer honeycomb mats. They perfectly complement the ladder and make it safer to use.
- Special tiles made of very dense rubber with a corrugated texture are also suitable. They can completely cover the treads.
- Not a bad solution would be rubber pads on the steps and plates made of special rubber crumb.
- Today, protection in the form of a special anti-slip tape is very often used.
- Popular aluminum corner-thresholds, which have an insert made of elastic in their design.
A heated pad model is also available. This is an interesting but more expensive solution.
How to install?
Anti-slip step profiles are easy to install. It doesn't take long. The installation method itself depends on the design and type of cover. So, if a metal frame base is present in the product, then a special tool is needed to install it. If this is not the case, then you can do with improvised means.
First, let's look at how the simplest overhead products are installed correctly. They come with and without self-adhesive film. So, if a similar film is present in the part, then it is installed as follows:
- first you need a ruler and a marker to mark the coverage area;
- further, the installation site is thoroughly cleaned of all dirt and dust;
- the protective film is removed;
- the corner or pad is gently lowered onto the step;
- the element must be pressed firmly so that it locks into place better.
If there is no self-adhesive film in the lining structure, then the installation process will be as follows:
- as in the first case, first you need to mark the coverage area with a ruler and a marker;
- then the surface is thoroughly degreased and cleaned (this applies to both the step and the installed lining);
- glue is applied to the rubber product;
- the overhead product must be laid on the step;
- for the fixation to be of better quality, it is better to hold the corner or onlay for at least 2-3 minutes.
Specimens that are more complex in structure, in which aluminum is present, are installed differently. They can only be fixed on the base of the steps, that is, before stone, porcelain stoneware, tiles or tile coverings are laid on them. Otherwise, some of the already installed materials will have to be removed to securely fasten.
The process of installing metal plates will require the use of such tools:
- a drill with a victorious nozzle or a perforator;
- thin marker;
- silicone sealant;
- locking screws;
- sharp knife and saw.
The installation work will be as follows
- First, the section of stairs is cleaned from dirt and stones.
- The part is applied to the step. Its length can be shortened with a knife or metal saw.
- Through the holes in the frame, you will need to place marks in the right places with a marker. If there are no holes, then they will need to be drilled out with a drill.
- Holes for screws are drilled in the places of marks with a perforator.
- Dowels are inserted into the finished grooves.
- A sealant is applied to the surface of the element that is in contact with the step.
- Then the cover is applied, while aligning the holes with the recesses for the screws.
- Then the screws are inserted and hammered into them. Additional fastening can be done with a screwdriver.