A porch for a private house can be made of different materials. Not only plank and concrete, but also metal structures are widespread. They have many advantages over entry areas made of other materials. In this article, we will learn all about a metal porch for a private house.
Features of the
A porch for a private house should be built of strong, wear-resistant and durable material. Metal is one of the best solutions. Today, the entrance areas of many dwellings and summer cottages are complemented by metal staircases. Designs like these attract homeowners for many characteristics. Let's find out about the most important ones.
- The metal porch can undergo renovation if the need arises. The same cannot be said for most structures made from other building materials.
- Metal can be easily combined with any other suitable materials, for example, with plastic, wood, stone and others.
- The structures under consideration, leading to the house, are not subject to deformation, breakage or decay under the influence of negative external factors. This refers to rain, snow, direct sunlight. It is under the influence of these factors that porches built of wood quickly wear out.
- A porch made of metal can have a very different structure and device. The design of such structures can also be anything! Many owners complement their homes with very original and intricate metal structures.
- Installation of the structures under consideration is carried out in a short time. The same can be said about dismantling works.
- Most of the entrance buildings made of metal are characterized by very low weight, so work on their installation and decoration takes place without unnecessary difficulties.
- Over time, metal structures do not fall apart, do not sag, do not deform, and retain their original shape. If this porch is properly looked after, then it will not rust.
- A metal porch can be both cheap and very expensive - almost any consumer can design a suitable structure.
A metal porch has not only a lot of advantages, but also a number of disadvantages, which are also better taken into account before starting installation work
- Unfortunately, the operation of such a porch can seem costly to many homeowners. The fact is that metal structures must be treated with special anti-corrosion solutions, many of which are expensive. You will also have to buy paint to paint the metal porch.
- With the onset of winter, there is a high risk of icing on metal steps. Because of this, users can easily slip and fall over them. As a result, the risk of injury increases.
- If the entrance structure has a metal visor, then during rain or hail, the owners may be annoyed by the noise coming from this part. Under the influence of sharp wind gusts, the metal visor can also become a source of unpleasant sounds.
- If we are talking about an individual project of a metal porch, then here one cannot count on a democratic cost. Such solutions are very expensive.
A porch constructed of metal can be different.Each of the existing species has its own distinctive characteristics and parameters. Let's get to know them better. So, a street staircase leading directly to the house can be divided according to the execution of the upper platform. There are such varieties:
- terrace - means a common open-type area, usually large and fenced with a railing;
- veranda - this is a closed terrace;
- patio - a free area that is not equipped with fences, but has a canopy.
As mentioned above, metal stairs often have other materials in their design. Structures on a metal frame are very common. Let's consider what similar structures are.
- Metal entrance areas combined with polycarbonate sheets are very relevant. The latter can be installed on a profile frame and serve as a canopy or canopy. Often such structures have not a standard, but an arched structure (with a round canopy).
- Very often metal is combined with wood. For example, a similar porch could be built with wooden steps or railings. Such structures in front of the entrance look very attractive.
- The most luxurious and beautiful are forged options. It can be a combination of a standard metal staircase, complemented by a spectacular wrought-iron decor. Such solutions are more expensive, but they also look very bright and expressive.
Also, the entrance group can include the simplest iron porch. Most often this is a standard welded structure. Railings in such structures can be forged or made of metal profiles. The choice of porch decoration depends on the budget and requirements of the homeowner.
Separately, it is worth highlighting the attached modification of metal structures. The name of such structures speaks for itself. They have small areas and look very neat. They attach similar stairs to the front door from the street side.
Before embarking on the installation of a porch for a bathhouse, residential building or summer cottage, it is very important to draw up a preliminary plan for the future structure. It is required to prepare a detailed drawing and diagrams, indicating all the necessary dimensions and parameters of the input structure. You can draw up a porch project yourself, you can contact a specialist, or you can use ready-made plans.
Let's take a look at some interesting options
Will look stylish a porch of a standard structure, but with an attractive wrought-iron railings and an arched semicircular canopy, also supplemented with forging details. The diagram shows a structure with a small entrance area
The porch can be built from a standard profile, devoid of forged decorations and other decorations. The minimalistic structure, reflected in the diagram, provides for the installation of wooden steps and a doorway. For the construction of such a porch, it is permissible to use metal, coupled with pine boards, treated with varnish
This drawing shows a beautiful porch with two staircase branches. The construction has a sleek and very neat design. The entrance area is made of concrete, and the steps are made of wood, mounted on a metal frame. The entire construction is fenced with metal railings with graceful decorative elements. A similar design can be performed both open and covered
It is not recommended to independently draw up a project for the future metal porch, if you have not previously encountered similar processes. In the event of an error in the calculations, the building will turn out to be of poor quality and everything will have to be redone.
How to do it?
A strong and aesthetic porch made of practical metal can be made with your own hands. The manufacture and installation of the structure under consideration consists of several stages. Let's consider each of them in detail.
Often, the porch is installed after the construction of a house or summer cottage. In this case, for the entrance structure, you need to mount the foundation, despite its lightness. Even at the stage of drawing up the project, it is very important to decide whether it will be fastened to the foundation of the house or become a separate structure.
If there is solid soil in the local area, it is better to connect the foundation of the porch with the foundation of the main building. For this purpose, it is necessary to drill holes in the concreted base of the main building, in the area where the entrance of the porch is provided. The pins of the reinforcement are hammered into the holes, to which the frame base will be attached under the porch.
If the land on the territory is weaker, then a special "expansion joint" must be left between the foundations of the house and the porch.… The excavation must be done with a depth that matches the level of the home foundation. So that the base does not start to collapse, and the groundwater does not wash away the metal structure, a sand-gravel mixture is sent to the bottom of the pit.
The pillow should be approximately 20 cm deep. It should be tamped down tightly.
Then concrete is poured… You can buy a ready-made mixture, or you can prepare it yourself. A dug hole along the very edges is poured with mortar, after which it is leveled using a building level. The foundation will dry for about a week. During this time, it will be necessary to soak the top layer of the fill from time to time so that the entire area dries evenly. The overall values of the foundation must be calculated based on the dimensions of the finished structure.
The finished foundation will need to be isolated from water with sheets of roofing material, folded in 2 layers. They must be laid perpendicular to each other. Plank or plywood formwork must be attached at an angle of 90 degrees. The porch, which has a staircase, provides for the use of reinforcing bars. The reinforcing mesh should be about 5 cm less than the formwork. It should also be poured with concrete mortar. All surfaces are leveled. If it is planned to install metal railings, then bolts are screwed into the base for their future fasteners. A similar foundation will be prepared for the next working stages in about 3 weeks.
We will learn how to make a supporting frame for an entrance structure from shaped pipes
- The frame base must be welded from profiled pipes, starting from the dimensions of the structure with a shelf of 5-16 cm, or channels, the width of which is from 15 cm.
- The platform must be mounted 5 cm below the threshold. To cover it, use sheet metal, which has a thickness of 4 to 6 mm.
- The staircase for the entrance porch is assembled from a pair of channels that are attached to the platform frame and foundation base.
- If the span is 2 m, then an additional channel must be installed in the middle. Having made a marking of areas for mounting steps from a 50x50 mm corner, it is necessary to cut the fasteners that have an L-shape. Finished parts will need to be welded to the surface of the channels.
- After that, the welded components will need to be connected with the same corner on both sides of the ladder. This will form the contour of the steps. On them, by means of self-tapping screws, you will need to fasten boards, glue tiles, or weld iron sheets that already cover the entrance area.
- If the home-made ladder is made narrower, the transverse corners can be omitted. It is enough to attach the boards directly to the L-shaped bases.
- Then you can proceed to the installation of handrails and handrails if the staircase provides for more than 3 steps. The height of these parts should be from 0.8 to 1 m. The simplest options are mounted from ordinary rectangular pipes. Racks are installed from below and above, then they are connected by means of smaller pipes. The upper tube protrudes with a handrail.
- After the installation of the railing, the master can be taken on the installation of the canopy / canopy, if it is provided for by the design of the entrance porch. The staircase and platform may well be open - each homeowner decides for himself which version of the porch will be most convenient for him.
It is not enough just to build a high-quality metal porch. It still needs to be well refined. So that the entrance structure looks as attractive and harmonious as possible, it is advisable to supplement it with a suitable finish. If we are talking about structures constructed of metal, then there are not so many finishing options.
Such structures can be painted in any color you like, or supplemented with elements of artistic forging. The latter look very rich and elegant. You can effectively decorate a metal porch with non-trivial monograms, graceful patterned wrought-iron weaves.
Such compositions are always immediately striking and attract a lot of attention.
Helpful hints and tips
If you have planned to assemble your own metal porch by yourself, you should heed a number of useful tips
- When deciding on the characteristics of the foundation under the porch, it is advisable to take into account the indicators of soil freezing in the existing area. The construction of the foundation must be calculated so that it is at least 30 cm below the freezing point. Based on the climatic conditions, the indicated indicator is allowed to be slightly reduced or increased.
- For the construction of the stairs and the entrance area, you need to purchase only high-quality profile pipes and any other metal components. The materials should be free of rust, deformation and other similar damage.
- If the porch has a staircase equipped with wooden steps, then it is recommended to treat them with special alkyd enamel.
- If you cannot decide on the finish of the metal porch, it is worth considering the fact that light-colored paint can make such structures less heavy and bulky. A light-colored metal structure usually looks light and neat.
- The service life and reliability of a metal porch largely depend on the condition of the welded seams. To make sure of their quality, on the one hand, the seam is treated with a chalk-based suspension, and on the opposite side with kerosene. This should be done 2 times, with a pause of 10 minutes. It will take several hours to check the reliability of the seams against the background of subzero temperatures. If characteristic spots have not formed on the joints for a long time, this will indicate that all the seams have been welded with high quality.
- Decorate the metal porch so that it looks harmonious against the background of a residential building, cottage or summer cottage.
For information on how to make a metal porch for a private house with your own hands, see the next video.