A suspended toilet is an innovative representative of plumbing, unusual and extraordinary. At first glance, the design does not at all inspire confidence in the owners of apartments and private houses with a sewer system, because practically nothing is known about the new model. And this is quite reasonable, because every prudent person, before buying something, prefers to familiarize himself with the characteristics of the product in more detail. In this article you will find a description of the various types of wall-mounted toilets, their design features, as well as an overview of interesting models for any interior.
Advantages and disadvantages
Wall hung toilets were invented at the end of the 20th century as new models of compact and ergonomic sanitary ware. At that time, minimalism was very popular - this was reflected in the items of convenience. New toilet models are very different from conventional massive sewer devices. - they do not burden the room and create the feeling of a large space. In addition, most of the mechanism is hidden in the wall, which only emphasizes the miniature of the wall-hung toilet.
A new invention, like any other innovation, has its own pros and cons. Some people are willing to put in the effort to add such interesting convenience to their décor, but there are also many homeowners who have a preference for conventional gadgets. To make it easier for you to understand whether a wall-hung toilet is suitable for your home, let's take a closer look at all its advantages and disadvantages.
First of all, we will consider the advantages of an innovative product
- Design. The device looks very original - such a toilet will definitely surprise the guests of your home. Also, an unusual miniature toilet will look great in any bathroom design.
- Minimalism. When installing this plumbing device, most of the sewer pipes and parts of the system are hidden behind a fake wall. This technology allows you to remove all unnecessary from the eyes and make the room as comfortable and aesthetic as possible.
- Lack of a leg. The hanging bowl makes cleaning the toilet easier and more convenient, because you no longer have to twist to clean up the space behind the toilet. In the case of a new invention, you only need to wipe the floor under the bowl - thanks to the design features, this is quite easy to do.
- The size. By replacing a bulky device with a miniature one, you free up enough space to make a small bathroom or restroom look more spacious.
- Saving. Thanks to the special split water drainage mechanism, you can reduce the water consumption. Each tank draining is approximately 7 liters of water, and the half-draining system significantly reduces this figure.
- Soundproofing. Since part of the device is hidden in the wall, the tank will make much less noise. If you wish, you can also install an additional layer of soundproofing material in the false wall - this will minimize the noise when draining the liquid.
Hanging toilets are of high quality, strong and last a very long time, but even they have their drawbacks, we will consider them in more detail
- Access to pipes. A false wall blocks free access to the sewer system communication. Sometimes unforeseen situations occur, due to which it is necessary to repair pipes embedded in the wall.The only way out of this situation is to completely break the fake panel by removing the trim and the partition itself. After the repair, the hole in the wall will have to be closed again. However, this situation can be avoided by installing a special door or an easily removable panel in advance.
- Cost. A hanging toilet is not a cheap pleasure, because even the simplest models often cost more than their floor-standing counterparts. In addition, the buyer of such a device will have to spend a decent amount of money on its installation.
- Installation. Unlike a regular toilet, a wall-mounted model requires knowledge and experience to install. Not every master will be able to accurately, correctly and firmly mount the mechanism, so it will be better if professionals are engaged in the matter.
If you are going to purchase wall-mounted plumbing, think carefully about all the little things and familiarize yourself with all the advantages and disadvantages of the design. In addition, it is very important to familiarize yourself with the characteristics of the device in order to choose the most suitable model for your home.
The main distinguishing feature of a wall-hung toilet is that it does not touch the floor. Besides, many are mistaken that the structure is attached directly to the wall - in fact, there are several ways.
In order to securely fix the plumbing, an installation is used - a solid metal frame with a tank inside. The installation is complemented by all the necessary communications that must be connected to the bowl. Due to the fact that the support with communications is hidden behind a fake wall, it seems that the toilet is attached to the wall.
For some people, the hanging mechanism may raise doubts, because the feeling of being attached to a wall is not credible
But thanks to the frame structure, the bowl is fixed very reliably - it can withstand a weight of up to 400 kg.
Description of species
There are quite a few types of toilet plumbing, as well as special mechanisms for them. Let's take a closer look at the distinctive designs of some models.
This system works in much the same way as a door closer - it prevents the lid from falling with a crash on the rim of the bowl. The microlift provides a slow lowering of the toilet lid.
A mechanism that minimizes splashes during flushing. The anti-splash system prevents water from entering the cover, walls or human body.
Bowl without rim
The absence of such a detail seems an absurd idea, because the rim directs water and does not allow it to spill past the toilet, but this mechanism has a drawback - dirt accumulates under the rim.
The absence of such a part eliminates the risk of contamination accumulation, and the new flushing method makes it possible to avoid splashing.
Besides, There are quite a few types of plumbing mechanisms that differ in many different criteria, such as installation, flush, shape and design. We suggest that you familiarize yourself in more detail with each design feature.
By flush type
There are two different flushing mechanisms - direct and reverse. Let's consider in more detail the features of each type.
- Straight. This type of flush is also called horizontal flush - it is carried out with a powerful jet of water emanating from the back half of the bowl. After washing the front of the wall-mounted toilet and under the rim, the liquid is drained into the drain. The mechanism has a drawback - due to the strong pressure, water is often sprayed.
- Back. Also, for this type, the term "circular" is used, because the flush is carried out using many holes located in a circle inside the upper part of the bowl. The mechanism is designed in such a way as to direct the water in a spiral - this creates a powerful funnel-shaped drain. The reverse mechanism increases the productivity of the drain and allows you to economically use liquid.
In addition, the flush system is equipped with two functions - full and half drainage of water from the tank. A full drain empties the tank and thoroughly washes the bowl, while a half drain drains about 1/2 the volume of water with the option to stop the liquid supply.
By installation type
In fact, the installation is a skeleton holding on itself a ceramic bowl, cistern, sewer pipes and a flush system. There are two types of installation in total - frame and block, we will consider each in more detail.
The block type of installation is a simple and budget-friendly system of small size, which is mounted in a recess made inside the wall. The wall-mounted toilet and all the necessary parts of the plumbing structure are firmly attached to the installed frame. After installation, the block installation is covered with a plasterboard panel with a waterproof coating, and a layer of decorative materials is applied on top. This system can only be installed in strong buildings - walls made of wood, foam blocks or gypsum plasterboard are categorically not suitable for such purposes.
The frame type of installation has a more thought-out design, but its cost is also much higher. The device consists of a steel frame with a corrosion-resistant coating. All parts of the sewer mechanism are firmly attached to this "skeleton". The frame of the structure has a rather large size - its width is 50-65 cm, height - up to 140 cm, depth - 20-35 cm.
Unlike the block type, the frame type can be mounted in almost any wall, you just need to choose the right mount and model.
Let's consider in more detail the types of structures for different situations
- When it is necessary to install a suspended toilet on a plasterboard or foam block wall, it would be wise to choose a floor installation option. The frame of this model is equipped with special legs that allow you to securely hold the thicket above the floor.
- When installing the system in a load-bearing wall, it is best to choose the wall mounting method. This method does not imply a strong destruction of the floor, and the entire weight of the installed toilet is held by the vertical covering.
- They also produce a universal model, the design of which allows you to install both floor-standing and wall-mounted versions.
Modern companies create a huge range of models of hanging toilet bowls of various shapes: round, oval, square, drop-shaped and rectangular. In addition, each person can individually order a bowl of a special, unique shape from the manufacturer. Nevertheless, the most popular models are round and oval toilets, because they have much more advantages.
Because the oval toilet has no corners, it is much easier to clean than complex bowls
The round toilet reduces the risk of injury, because even if you accidentally hook it, the smooth shape of the bowl of the sanitary ware will not harm you.
Also, the shape of wall-mounted toilets is divided into 3 types according to the shape of the drain pipe:
- with a shelf;
The first option in our time is losing demand, because the shelf requires frequent cleaning from contamination. Models with a canopy are used more often because the special slope makes it easier to flush waste through the pipe.
But the most convenient is the funnel-shaped type of mechanism, which easily removes waste into the sewer and does not require too frequent cleaning.
There are quite a few materials that are used to make hanging toilets, let's take a closer look at a few of them.
A classic material for creating sanitary ware - the smooth surface of the porcelain product prevents the accumulation of dirt. Besides, porcelain models are very easy to clean.
A toilet with this design does not require too thorough cleaning and will last for a long time. Nonetheless The stainless steel toilet has a specific shape that is more suitable for decorating a public toilet than for a home toilet.
This material is the budget version of porcelain, but it has a rougher surface. Due to the peculiarities of the structure, the earthenware bowl quickly becomes dirty, so it is better to choose models covered with glaze.
Polymer products are quite easy to clean, but they are not very resistant to damage, so they are most often installed in summer cottages - where they are used only in summer.
The dimensions of sanitary ware are a very important selection criterion, so we suggest that you take a closer look at the standard sizes of toilets
- Compact shortened mechanism. The short toilet bowl, the length of which varies from 500 to 540 mm and the width from 300 to 360 mm, is installed in small latrines. Among the compact models, there is a small corner toilet that makes the most of a small space.
- Average plumbing system. The dimensions of models of this size are 560-585 mm in length and 370-390 mm in width. The classic type of plumbing, which buyers most often use in their interior.
- Large wall-hung toilet. The size of the models is 600-700 mm in length and 400-450 mm in width. The products are designed for people with disabilities or for spacious bathrooms.
In addition to the shape and size, the design may differ in the color of the bowl, because nowadays it is not only white options that are popular. Firms began to produce sanitary ware in a variety of colors, sometimes even decorated with patterns or ornaments.
Among exotic lovers, a black toilet is in demand, because it looks very stylish in the interior and does not require too careful maintenance.
Rating of the best mounted models
Thanks to modern technology, there are a huge number of brands that produce sanitary ware. We invite you to consider the rating of the most popular manufacturers of suspension systems.
The company is engaged in the production of earthenware goods in the middle price category.
Villeroy & Boch Subway
The products of this company are completed with very high quality parts.
Roca the gap
The manufacturer from Spain creates beautiful rimless toilets, which gives the product a more aesthetic appearance. Roca Dama Senso is one of the most popular models of the company.
An Italian company that produces bowls with microlift and quick-release seat.
The manufacturer manufactures high-quality sanitary ware models with a long warranty period.
The company is distinguished by a creative approach to the creation of sanitary ware - there are models with a wooden lid, different colors and patterns. You can also find oval and square bowls.
A company from Germany, the most popular product of which is the Lecico Perth model - a toilet with a double flush button, microlift and installation.
The company is engaged in the production of various sanitary ware, including hanging toilet bowls. The Sanita luxe assortment differs from others in a large selection of colors and a variety of designs. The most famous models are Attica and Ringo, which are in demand among buyers due to their beautiful appearance and good equipment.
A universal manufacturer that creates products in different price categories. Due to the large run-up in prices, a wall-hung toilet can be chosen by people with different needs. One of the most popular systems of this brand is the Style model, the surface of which is covered with a special protective layer Reflex Kolo.
The company produces high quality wall-mounted toilets. A distinctive feature of this brand is the soft seat and the absence of a rim.
Models of this manufacturer are suitable for bathrooms of any size, because they are produced in a standard size - 490 mm long.
One of the most popular sanitary ware manufacturers in the world. Customers pay special attention to the Delfi model - it is compact, comfortable and perfectly withstands heavy weight.
The factory easily picked up the wave of popularity of colored toilets and is actively developing its range on the market. Thanks to the creative manufacturers, the bowls of the models of this brand look stylish and original.
When buying a wall-mounted sewer system, you need to separately buy specific accessories, because the kit usually includes only a bowl and a lid. Let's consider in more detail the set of a wall-mounted toilet bowl necessary for installation.
- Sound insulating pad. A special gasket, which is installed between the bowl and the false wall, is designed to absorb vibrations of the wall during draining.
- Installation kit. Details of a solid frame to which the hanging toilet bowl will be attached.
- Tank. The water supply system to the mechanism is of two types - full and half.
- Sewer connection kit. Nozzles and gaskets connecting the toilet to the sewer system.
- Odor removal system. Built-in device that allows you to quickly remove unpleasant odors in the toilet.
Which toilet to choose?
When choosing a wall-mounted toilet, you need to pay attention to the following criteria
- Manufacturing material. The best toilet material is porcelain. You can also use cheaper earthenware products, but due to the porous base, they will very quickly lose their beautiful appearance.
- Estimated load. Be sure to be interested in testing the load on the mechanism, because different manufacturers create different fastening systems, which indicate the maximum permissible weight.
- Drain hole diameter. Too wide drain in the bowl creates excessive lateral rotation of the water, so it is preferable to use toilets with a narrow drain.
There are several ways to attach a wall-mounted toilet, depending on your needs, but in this case, we suggest that you consider installing the mechanism in a load-bearing wall
- First of all, install the support rods in the supporting wall, on which the toilet will be attached.
- The second stage of installation is the connection of the coupling to the sewer. At this point, the exact height of the wall-hung toilet is determined.
- Install the temporary frame in the holes for the bowl.
- Secure the rods to the wall with a chemical anchor.
- After the steps taken, attach the bowl to the rods and check for alignment with the fasteners and the drain.
- Next, you need to concrete the wall. Install the foam in the place where the sewer pipe will be fixed, pour concrete and wait for at least 28 days to dry.
- When the structure is dry, once again make sure that all the parts match, then install the tank.
Installing a wall-mounted toilet bowl to a concrete base practically does not differ from the installation of a conventional floor-standing sanitary ware - you just need to mount the pins, screw the bowl with bolts and seal all connections.
Wall-mounted plumbing products collect a lot of positive reviews, because they save space, perform their functions efficiently and fit perfectly into any interior. Customers appreciate the anti-splash system, because when water is not splashing around the room, cleaning the toilet is much easier. Also, in the reviews, you can often find a mention of a convenient microlift mechanism that avoids unpleasant noise.
Difficulty in installation is most often cited as arguments against mounted toilets, because a beginner without construction skills will definitely not cope with this difficult task.
Also, the disadvantage is that the set of most toilet bowls does not include installation structural elements - they will have to be purchased separately.